Are you the guy at the party no one wants to talk to?
The guy in the skinny jeans and thick eyeglasses wearing an old concert t-shirt who drones on and on about himself? He’s done everything, been everywhere and anything you’re doing he’s already done before – and dismissed it. He doesn’t listen – he just talks on and on and on…
This guy? He’s a bore. A blowhard.
Is that you on social media? Are you the brand talking exclusively about yourself?
Are you guilty of doing any of these things?
- Posting a link to a press release about your new product to Facebook
- Tweeting out an invite and a link to your sales webinar
- Posting a video of your sales presentation to YouTube
- Putting your sales deck up on SlideShare
- Linking to a retail sale on Facebook
If so you’re likely guilty of boring your audience. No one likes anyone who constantly talks about themselves, especially when they’re trying to sell you something at the same time. They begin to tune you out. They stop listening. And eventually they’ll block you, unsubscribe or stop following you.
So why do you keep doing it?