That’s now the number of active Facebook users.
For some perspective:
- The human population of earth is 7 billion people. That means one in 7 are members of Facebook.
- There are about 2.2 billion Internet users in the world. About half of them have Facebook pages.
- The whale population of the world is approximately 1.2 million. There are nearly 9X more Facebook users.
- There are approximately 740,000 elephants left in the world – 700,000 African elephants and 40,000 Asian elephants. There are more than 10X Facebook users
- The entire population of Europe is 739,165,030. There are 261 million more people on Facebook.
- There are 1,230 billionaires in the world. Mark Zuckerberg, CEO of Facebook, is one of them. It is unknown how many other billionaires have Facebook pages.
- There are 196 countries in the world today. If Facebook was a country it would the third largest behind China and India. Facebook is more than three times larger in population than the United States.
- The human population on Earth reach one billion in 1804, basically taking 198,000 years to reach the mark. It took Facebook eight years to reach one billion users.
- Last year, the number of cars in the world reached one billion. The automobile was invented in 1886 and took a 125 years to hit a billion.
- In the top 10 pet owning countries in the world, there are approximately 173 million pet dogs. None of these dogs can legally have a Facebook page.
- Mr. Billion is a 1977 comedy directed by Jonathan Kaplan. It is about an Italian mechanic who inherits a billion dollars from his uncle and has to reach San Francisco in less than 20 days to sign the documents or miss out on the cash. Lots of crazy misadventures happen on his journey. The movie was filmed seven years before Mark Zuckerberg was born.
- “A galaxy is composed of gas and dust and stars—billions upon billions of stars.” This is a quote by the last astronomer Carl Sagan that comedians loved to spoof because of the drawn out way Sagan said the word “billions.”
- One billion pennies would equal 10 million dollars. Mark Zuckerberg has 940 trillion pennies.
- It is 483 million miles from Earth to the planet Jupiter. A round-trip would be 966 million miles – or close to one billion miles.
- There are approximately 100 million ants for each person on Earth. If one in seven ants had Facebook pages then Facebook would have 100 billion users.
Saying that the achievement by Facebook to hit one billion is remarkable – is an understatement.